Geneseo, NY


The people's choice in Livingston County... and beyond!
You Are Here:
Home»Lake & Valley Clarion»Obituaries»
Go To:
Lake and Valley Clarion NewspaperGenesee Country MagazineClarion Communications

This page sponsored by:



Obituaries published the week of October 31, 2002
New Feature
Obituary search
Search just the online obituary archives for a faster, more accurate search.

For previous listings, click here

In Memoriam

Aaron G. Christiano

Aaron G. Christiano, 21, of Poplar Hill Road in Livonia, died Oct. 27, 2002 as a result of injuries received from a motor vehicle accident on Barber Road in the Town of Avon. He is survived by his mother Sally (John Pasquale) Christiano of Livonia; his father Ronald (Debra) Christiano of Fairport; maternal grandparents, Richard and Mary Jane McKeown of Geneseo; paternal grandparents, Louis and Joan Christiano Jr. of Retsol; stepsisters, Shawna, Rachel and Haley Pasquale of Livonia; stepbrothers J.C. and Cory Riggione of Fairport; several aunts, uncles and cousins. He was preceded in death by his brother Adam Christiano in 1988. He was born July 10, 1981 in Hornell, N.Y., the son of Ronald and Sally (McKeown) Christiano. Aaron was a 1999 graduate of Livonia Central School. An aspiring musician, he was a music student at Monroe Community College in Rochester as well as the founder of the popular local rock band Mania. Visitation will be held at the Rector-Hicks Funeral Home, 111 Main St. in Geneseo on Wednesday, Oct. 30 from 2-4, 7-9 p.m. Memorials may be made to his family at 3371 Poplar Hill Rd., Livonia NY 14487. Private Funeral Services will be held Friday at the convenience of the family. Interment will be in the St. Mary's Cemetery in Geneseo.

Irene M. O'Neal

Irene M. O'Neal, 86, formerly of Route 21 S. Wayland, passed away Oct. 22, 2002 at McAuley Manor after a long illness. She was born Dec. 17, 1915 in Caribou, Maine, the daughter of Joseph and Elise Thibodeau Belanger. She resided there her early life and married George O'Neal on Nov. 23, 1936 in Caribou. She and George left Caribou in 1941 and moved to Buffalo for a year prior to moving to the Wayland-Patchinsville area. She was employed at Westinghouse in Bath for many years and she and her husband George owned and operated the O'Neal Grocery Store in Patchinsville from 1955 until their retirement in 1968. Irene also was a communicant of St. Joseph's Church in Wayland. She was predeceased by her husband George in 1988, her son Maynard in 2002 and a granddaughter Tina in 1991. She was also predeceased by her brothers and sisters-in-law, Edward (Mary), Leo (Dina), Arthur (Madeline), Henry, Vernon, Euclid, and Albert Belanger. She is survived by two sons, Joseph “Puss” (Shirley) O'Neal and Roger (Jackie) O'Neal, all of Wayland; many grandchildren and great grandchildren including her granddaughter Denise O'Neal-Guy with whom she resided, who was her health care provider for a number of years; one sister Lydia Beaupre of Turlock, Calif. and a brother Lucian Belanger of Buffalo; one sister-in-law Rolande Belanger of Arkport; several nieces and nephews. Friends called Thursday at the St. George Stanton Funeral Home, 109 W. Naples St. in Wayland. A prayer service was conducted Friday in the Funeral Home followed by a Mass of Christian Burial in St. Joseph's Church in Wayland. Interment, St. Joseph's Cemetery.

Fr. Regis (Chas. R) Tompkins OCSO

Fr. Regis (Chas. R.) Tompkins OCSO, died peacefully on Oct. 11, 2002. Charles Robert Tompkins was born in Louisville, Ky. on Nov. 7, 1908 to Anthony and Maria (Burns) Tompkins. He was one of nine children. Charles finished high school in 1927 and entered the Jesuits, enrolled at St. Louis University, where he received a B.A. degree in 1930. He then went to Xavier University in Cincinnati where he received an M.A. degree in 1934. He was sent to Loyola College in Cleveland while he taught at St. Ignatius High School. This is where his call to a more contemplative orientation came into clearer focus. In 1950 Charles entered to novitiate at Gethsemani Abbey near his home on May 20 and was given the name Regis, after St. John Francis Regis. In 1952 he was sent to the new foundation in Piffard, N.Y. Christ the King Monastery. By 1954 the name had changed to the Abbey of the Genesee and on June 12 Fr. Regis was ordained by Bishop James Kearney of Rochester. Fr. Regis was appointed Dean of Students and Prefect of Studies. Fr. Regis was appointed ad nutum superior again for seven months in 1968. In the 70s and 80s he served the community as Novice Director and Prior at different times for a period of 16 years. By 1997 he moved into the infirmary but still served as archivist and Master of Ceremonies. He was buried in the Abbey Cemetery after Mass on Oct. 14. Arrangements through Rector-Hicks Funeral Home, 111 Main St. in Geneseo.